Sunday 30 August 2009

Whitwick 10k and Rugby sprint triathlon

Well I`ve been a bit slack on my blog lately,as a nooby to the blogging world finding it difficult to get on here and write, also been really busy at work and with a couple of races recently it`s been pretty full on.
On the 23rd August raced the Whitwick 10k in Leicestershire, great race really well organised and great value for money, only 8 quid to enter and with a t shirt and nice goody bag at the finish. Also for those lucky enough some nice trophies and cash prizes.
Apart from a trail run earlier in the year this was my first 10k of the year, pleased with my result 13th overall and 5th in my age category, my time wasn`t amazing 40.23 but the course was very hilly especially the first half.
The weekend after took part in my first triathlon in Rugby Warwickshire, had a great time. The race was brilliant with great organisation, atmosphere, I definitely recommend it especially to virgin triathletes like myself.
To be honest the day before wasn`t sure if I was going to make the race, came down with a really bad stomach bug, come the morning of the race felt a little better so decided to risk it.
The swim comprised of a 400m pool swim, went ok, but swimming is definitely my weak point...decided to breaststroke most of it, didn`t want to risk swallowing half of the pool especially with a very dicky tummy! As it turned out I probably swam it quicker than i would have done freestyle (a sad indictment on the proficiency of my front crawl!) Came out the pool time of 9 min 20secs, flapped around in transition for a couple of minutes, then off on the bike.
The bike leg went pretty well overtook people steadily throughout the course and my health was okay at this point with T2 took about 34.20 secs, for what was described as 20k route, although i think 18.5 k was probably more accurate, still very happy with the time.
The run was a 5 k two lap route, through the grounds of the school, nice and flat and all grass, fast run although a little uneven in parts so had to watch footing. Just after T2 my stomach started to cramp up really badly so ran the 5k with a bad stomach ache but my legs felt ok and finished run in about 20.16. I`d like to think mayb i could have squeezed sub 20 if i would have felt better , but pushed hard to the end so really happy with my effort, so my final time for my my first tri was a very satisfying 1.06.16, finishing about 8th in my age group and 47th overall .
Hopefully next year i can improve on this with a year more training under my belt, and hopefully a vastly improved swim leg

No comments:

Post a Comment