Friday 25 December 2009

Christmas Morning gone wrong!

The 100km bike ride didn't quite happen today, after another cold night decided I didn't trust the roads 100%, so I`d use my touring/commuting bike. The chunky 26 inch wheels and fat tyres I decided would cope better with any ice that may be about. However I've had a couple of issues with the chain on it in the last couple of weeks and decided that I`d try and take a link out after the chain hopped off last week, well after much fiddling about with it this morning decided that I really needed a new chain so I put it back together.
Set off about 9.30am it was cloudy at first but soon the sun came out and I started to warm up ..ahh what a ride this was going to be! Then 11km from home....CLUNK!!...looked down and the chain was wrapped around the back sprocket..:-((. My attempt at home mechanics had horribly back fired on me, the chain was useless after 20 min of attempted roadside repairs gave up and decided I`d have to try and get home by hook or by crook. In retrospect I should be grateful the chain decided to die on me on km 11 and not km 50, even so with look style cleats and cycle shoes with absolutely no flex in them jogging back or even walking briskly back was not an option. In the end got back home with a combination of walking up the hills and freewheeling down, and on the flat sort of scootering along, pushing myself along with one leg!
Well finally arrive back home at 1pm, but hey wasn`t about to give up just yet, after phoning family to exchange Xmas greeting and crying over the phone about my misfortune..:-))) I headed back out on my road bike, the main roads were clear and the day was just too nice to waste all day indoors. The predicted 100k was no longer feasible, but after a fortunately uneventful 2nd outing ended up totalling 50k for the day.
Really glad I didn`t give up after my first attempt now, after all if I`m going to have any chance of completing my first Ironman then I`ve gotta learn to deal with a bit adversity. Hope you all had a great Christmas Day ..till later

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave!

    Yep, after 15 minutes of trying to persuade google that I was not an autobot and finally correctly copying their bloody scramble word verification thing I am now one of your select band.Glad i have managed to bump up your followers by 20%.......If I went along to see Plymouth Argyle play I would have the same effect!

    Now you have recruited me using the family guilt ploy :-) I will be following your epic adventures closelt.I have the advantage of course of being your brother so can confidently expect you to have a regular run of mishaps and trials and tribulations to keep me entertained.

    I am also VERY confident your ludicrous aim will be achieved and i will treat you to another cream tea down in Tavistock as a reward.(i am keeping up that particular form of training myself!)

    Anyway.I will get back to my life of comfortable indolence whislt you take on another excruciating task probably outlawed under the Geneva Convention :-)

    Best wishes

    Ian

    ReplyDelete