Sunday 20 December 2009

Snow has arrived, the UK comes to a standstill as usual..but not my training!

Mixed feelings about this weeks training, on the one hand I`ve missed a couple of sessions including my long bike ride and a swim, on the other hand I`ve actually managed over 10 hours training although a couple of those were easy efforts commuting to work. The weather has played a factor, winter has most definitely arrived in the UK snow and ice and sub zero temperatures have been the order of the week, it`s definitely helped sap my enthusiasm for long bike rides, although to be honest the country roads are treacherous. On the plus side my running mileage has topped 33 miles this week. Managed to run to work and back on thurs although nearly came a cropper on the ice once or twice! Did have very sore shins in the evening not sure why may have been the combination of a lot of pavement running and the extra weight of the rucksack I had to carry.
Fantastic long run this afternoon along the canal near where I live. It was very cold but the sun was shining and not a cloud in the sky, the path was a bit snowy but the mud had pretty much frozen so nice and dry underfoot. took it nice and steady running 9 min walking 1 min for a total of 1 hour 40 min covering nearly 12 miles. Shins felt pretty sore for the first 5 or 6 miles but seemed to get better the longer I ran. Felt pretty fresh even towards the end, the walk breaks definitely help keep the fatigue out of the legs.
Next week need to crack on with the swimming aiming for 3 sessions if I can, although may be difficult xmas eve xmas day and boxing day the gym is shut so if I`m going to fit them in need to cram them in at the beginning of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment